Monday, August 9, 2010

My Name is Wednesday.

I was sitting under a tree waiting for Abdoul Azziz (my motorcycle driver) to come back with the motorcycle because he had to take Malam Baro--the old, toothless man who helps me identify trees--back to the village because the moto he was riding got a flat. So there I am sitting under the tree, waiting, and I thought about the fact that the name they gave me here--Larraba--means Wednesday. And then I made the obvious leap to Wednesday Adams and thought, 'how funny to share a name with such a strange girl! She's pale and quirky and does strange things. Oh wait--that's exactly what someone in Nigeria could be saying about me.'

Someone asked me when I first got here if I knew which day of the week I was born on, and I told them I had no idea. She was shocked and said that I really should know because it tells you a lot about who you are. Hence the habit of naming people by the days of the week--that way, everyone knows something aout your character as soon as they meet you.

So I asked about Wednesday--Larraba. I was told "If there are good things that are going to happen to you on Friday, you will see the signs on Wednesday." A big Facebook LIKE right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment